Thursday, June 5, 2008

On and Off...

..the wagon of excitement. Some things are fun, some things are disappointing, some things are awkward, some things are hard, some things are confusing, some things are exciting, and some things are just plain boring. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying college alot, but I still haven't adjusted fully yet. I know I know! I've only been here a week! But, the days don't go by very fast so its frustrating when my acquaintence collection is dinky enough to barely extend past the apartment door.

Last night me, Megan and her boyfriend Pablo went to the Swing Instruction and then Dance. The instruction part was... awkward to say the least. Of course Megan and Pablo were dancing and learning, but the only dancing I did during it was when one of the instructors met the three of us on the side and did the basic Lindy Hop move twice. Then I just sat and watched the rest of the time, because there was obviously men in short supply and too many girls. Ick. But when the dance begun, I had 3 different guys ask me to dance so that was nice. Especially because in our home stake, NONE of the guys asked you to dance. I was surprised but thankfully so. I felt bad for all three of them though, because the first was sort of flailing me around while staring intently at me, and he looked like he was combining the paso doble and the lindy hop but making it look more like a bad paso doble. The second one was a small guy who really liked to dance around and spice up the Lindy Hop, so in turn was very loose and not necessarily very good at leading (which sucked for me because my clogs were slipping on the floor the whole time and since I don't really know how to move in any of the moves except for like 5 of them, and even then only with a good strong leading partner) and would like spin me out and then jump around on his own for a few seconds. He was a good dancer though. Then the last one was tall and real cute and nice, and obviously knew alot about what he was doing but probably needed to work on his leading. I felt bad for him and kept apologizing because he'd try to lead me into a turn or something weird that I'd never done before and I'd be all over the place. He was nice and tolerated it though.

Then the three of us (Megan, Pablo and I) left at about 8:30 (the dance itself was from 8-10) to get ready for hip-hop, but then when we got home realized that it wasn't from 9-10 but from 8-9. So, next week we're gonna go to modern and hip hop, from 6-9. I felt bad I didn't go with her this week to them, but I DID want to try out the swing dance thing. I'll probably try it again and get there EARLIER so I'm paired up with someone at the beginning, or maybe make better friends with our FHE brothers and try to get one of them to come with me so there's another guy in the partner rotation. They need guys... BAD.

Oh, and did I mention I need to get some shoes that stay on your feet?! >.< no more clogs for dancing for mary...

No comments: