Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The good Lord giveth and the good Lord taketh away...

Or in this case, the vet took away on God's orders. "Iris" had to be put down on March 10th due to old age and being terribly anaemic. We've had her for 8 years, and she was probably around 8-9 years old. Turns out we haven't been diligent about worming, and -combined with old age- it just made her weaker and weaker. I felt so stupid crying in front of the vet, but he was so nice and I've determined I'm going to switch to him for Justin and his stuff. Roanoke Valley Equine is just way too expensive. Here's the story:

She was anaemic, meaning that she was full of worms and such. So the vet did a PCV on her and Billybob, not sure what it meant but their numbers were bad. He also checked the poop and it was full of worms and coccidia. When he came, he told me that we needed to move them to a different area and clean, lime and let air out the area they're in currently. Apparently we've been breeding worms and all sorts of icky things. So that's what happened to Iris. Now we've got to give everybody Dectomax for three days, and put CORID in their water for the next 10 to get rid of the coccidia in their system.

Ya know what made me cry? Other than Iris and her having to be put down, of course. While I was waiting for the vet to go get the shot to put her to sleep, Malik, Piper and Boots came in one by one and sniffed Iris (Malik also sniffed and nibbled on me) like they were saying goodbye. And what made me really tear up was Boots... she's one of Iris's babies from last year and when she came in she bleated, and Iris (who was up to this point dull and listless) perked up majorly and bleated back. Then once it was done, Piper (who normally doesn't like any of the other goats) came in where Iris was laying and was nudging her like she was wondering what had happened. :(

But, the good Lord also giveth! Chamomile aka "Millie" was born today! Born out of Boots and looks just like her. I was working on the small enclosure that we used to keep goats in, and for some reason I went into the goat's pen and SURPRISE! baby!!! At first, Boots was bleating motherly-like and licking the baby, but she seemed to walk away whenever Millie tried to nurse. So, after skipping institute and running to the store for bottles and dinner, I came back and milked a bottle full. When I went to try to feed Millie, her little belly felt full, so I felt the OTHER teat of Boots's and it was a little less empty than it had been. So I suppose she must be consuming something! Anyways, she's adorable but tomorrow I have to call the vet to ask some questions and the missionaries are coming over to help me finish the alternate goat fence and hopefully I can get them started on Corid!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.