Monday, May 19, 2008

Justin's Birthday!

So yesterday was Justin's birthday, his 6th Birthday! Wow! Six years on this earth, it's hard to believe! And I met him just when he was TWO weeks old! So, I've really known him from his birth... what a cutie.

I celebrated it with him by making Horsey Cupcakes (which I altered and then almost completely re-did the 'icing' recipe, I felt like a chef!) with molasses frosting, which it made about 12 so I shared one between all the goats; Me, Mom and Dad tried one (they had carrots, flour, bran, sugar, water, molasses, nothing unedible); and all six horses at Ann's got one (Justin got two!). Mom told me to sing him Happy Birthday, but I just told him...alot. :) It was so fun celebrating his birthday like that, I felt like a little kid! I let him loose in the barn/ring/"stable yard" area to nibble on the grass for a while, and I fed him there too instead of in his pen. He was a good boy, I brushed him and untangled his mane and took some pictures... it was fun. :-P

Then today I tied him to the intertube on the tree in Ann's backyard for patience, and he did pretty good. I was brushing and saddling Rayme while he was tied over there, so when I was done prepping her for riding, I went over to him, brushed him for a little bit, he stood still the whole time (didn't spend too much time on it) and so I went ahead and let him loose in the stable yard area to graze while I rode Rayme in the round pen. She did pretty good, and since Ann said I could borrow one of her horses for the beach ride (awesome!) I'm probably gonna take Rayme. I like her because she's not as small as Roxie (who's like 13-14 hands pony size) and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get Cowgirl as trained as she really ought to be by the beach ride.

I ended up trying on another one of Ann's saddles on Justin, tied the stirrups together so they wouldn't flap around, then hitched two lunge lines through the stirrups and on either side of his halter and long lined him for a bit. He did really well, especially with turns, but the problem is there is no flat, clear area big enough to work in (except maybe the front yard, but I can't ride/work him there!) and I was in his hilly pen.

No comments: