Friday, May 30, 2008

Posting yesterday's journal entry

it's long... I'm just posting it because I want it posted, you don't have to read it.

The flying was not very interesting. Luckily, we got through all the airport security checks just fine (haha, ALL of them, there was only one!) and they had SOOOO many people there and nothing we had bothered them. Thank goodness! Then, we got a bagel with cream cheese, and each a bottle of water from a bagel shop in there, and I had a few healthy snacks packed, but I botched my eating plan later (read about it on the bruingtonbiggestloser.blogspot.com). First class was cool, all the seats had a packaged small blanket, a small pillow and a bottle of water sitting on them. Then, they went around offering their ‘Beverage Service’ which I refused until later, when I got a club soda. I wasn’t sure what to order, but people were getting stuff from Tomato Juice to Diet Sprite to Coffee to Club Soda. So, when I heard Club Soda I asked for the same thing, and it was delicious! I also had the breakfast they offered, which was free… and wonderful. The lady next to me was an older lady named Dixie and she was real sweet. Her and I talked off and on, but mostly we just read. Taking off was AWESOME and I LOVED IT! I was so frustrated that it took us so long to meander down the runway to get to the spot where we got to go FAST, but we finally did and it was thrilling! Landing was also fun, but not as fun. Flying itself was just boring unless we had turbulence (which we did, twice) because it actually FELT like something.
I mostly read the whole time, looked out the window when there was a break in the fluffy white, got on my computer at one point and started typing up a horse training sheet for Sabina, for a few minutes watched 27 Dresses on the headphones I was offered. (Me: *watches the lady offer the headphones, on a PLATTER, then walk away* “Hey wait! Umm… do I have to pay for those?” Lady: “Pardon?” Me: “Do I have to pay money to use those?” Lady: *overly kind smile* “Just in coach! Not up front!” Me: “I’ll take a pair then”) But I didn’t use them for very long, because I couldn’t really see the movie screen for the glare, the sound was crackly, and I had to hold them against my ears to hear, and it wasn’t very interesting. By the time the flight was over, I was anxious to get off. Oh, and I don’t think the lady next to me was mormon, though she was very nice, but she did seem family-oriented, her husband was back in coach but he came up a few times and they just seemed to really love eachother (he seemed real sweet), AND she said she was going to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s practice session.
Alma picked us up from the airport (luggage claim went just fine), oh and it was SO CUTE! At the end of the elevator there was a bunch of families with “WELCOME BACK ELDER [insert last name here]” that was so cute. There was also quite a few people that were holding up little signs for people too. I thought that was funny, but efficient I suppose. We then went to a Chinese buffet place and ate, then for about 4 hours walked around Temple Square, in the church office building, I went in the Tabernacle, went to a 20 minute organ concert thing (low key, they do it everyday, and I fell asleep I was so tired) in the conference center, etc. I’d been to all those places except IN the tabernacle before, so that was cool, but the rest was pretty much old news. Not that I didn’t enjoy it, but I was so dang tired I was having trouble staying energetically happy. Alma and Dad found two sister missionaries from Italy though and the four of them had a bunch of fun chatting in Italian. All the missionaries on temple square and all the other buildings around are all sisters and they have their name tag and a flag of the country they’re from hanging beneath it. It was really cool, they were all really nice (of course), it was a nice change to see dedicated spiritually excited missionaries… :-D
Finally, Alma had to go to his temple session (he conducts temple sessions in the Salt Lake Temple all the time, and all day Saturdays) so we took his car back to their house and while Dad slept on the couch I read and talked to Sabina for a little while. Then, when Robin got home (Alma’s wife and one of the nicest, accommodating people you’ll ever meet!) a little while later, we all chatted for a bit until my stomach really started growling and we all went to a burger joint and I ate unhealthily. The rest of the day was pretty much uneventful… well, we did go wait for Alma by parking and walking through this small park thing where the city creek ran through and they had a cute little pond with random islands growing trees in part of the creek’s path (with one lone duck swimming in it!). I talked to Jon for a bit as well, updated him on the fact that I’m not in Idaho yet. I wish I was though! Then, we got Alma, all came back to the house, and later the missionaries arrived. Apparently, the missionaries around here are staying at member’s houses now and so the Allred’s have a set. They’re both VERY cute, one’s from Canada and the other’s from Arizona.

No comments: